Sunday, March 15, 2009

PFP: Special Weekend Edition

Heavy Metal and Home Alone...
I know, I know, so I said weekends were blog-free, but after spending the day tearing out ceramic tile in an attempt to remodel the bathroom, pretty much all I want to do is sit in front of the computer...

1) Cast iron tubs are HEAVY. I'm pretty sure that baby's been in there since the 1940's... it's kinda' a shame to replace it with a fiberglass one that I can lift with one hand, but someday somebody's back will thank me. Check it out... it's posted on craigslist and sitting pretty in the front yard (I'm sure the neighbors love that).

2) The house is unnaturally quiet with the missus and kids gone for the week... it's amazing what one can accomplish given a little space and quiet (Yes, honey, if you are reading, I miss you... of course).

3) I cooked a pot roast marinated in rum and served with mashed potatoes and cooked carrots... a feast fit for a king, but a king alone in the castle. What am I going to do with all this food? Or, dishes?

Stay sweet and have a great summer...

2 comments:

  1. you wrote all you want to do "is it in front of the computer."

    There's a movement afoot to get academics doing more stuff with their hands. In "The Craftsman," Richard Sennett makes the case that this is an essential piece of human nature: The desire to make. From Sennett's website:

    The Craftsman names a basic human impulse: the desire to do a job well for its own sake. Although the word may suggest a way of life that waned with the advent of industrial society, Sennett argues that the craftsman’s realm is far broader than skilled manual labor; the computer programmer, the doctor, the parent, and the citizen need to learn the values of good craftsmanship today.

    Congratulations on a day well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed it. Thanks for the heads up. It's interesting to think someone is actually reading, let alone proofreading my posts. I guses I'll hav eto wach my speeling and typingf a bit cloesr. That sounds like an intriguing book, and honestly I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before. I just read an interesting article about the psychobiology of stress relief and working with one's hands. I'll backtrack and see if I can find a link.

    ReplyDelete