Friday, March 13, 2009

PFP: Day Six?

Growing apart...
1) I realize that it has been over a week since my last post. I guess since my last blog adventure a couple years ago, I have recognized the value/necessity of living in the real world... sick kids, camping trips, birthdays, and youth baseball "spring training" all take precedent over the blogosphere, as they should. "Ah, perspective... what a wonderful thing." Does that count as a surprise?

2) I caught the last showing of a one-week run of the movie "Fanboys" last night (See banner on left). One week?... at least the local theater monopoly brought it at all (I was planning on driving to Indianapolis if needed). I guess they need to make room for classics like "Fastiest and most Furiouster IV." In reality, I a can't complain, as the movie had been somehow bumped to the five-dollar category. If you are counting that's three surprises in one so far. I was very excited by the premise for this movie (A group of obsessed fans travel cross-country to steal a print of Episode I from Skywalker Ranch), but went in expecting nothing more than an entertaining hour and a half of Star Wars inside jokes... One of the many reasons I went by myself, as explaining all of these jokes and references seemed less than appealing after a rough midterm week. In the end I was surprisingly struck by this comedic tale of friendships renewed, decisions concerning whether or not to join the adult world, and the importance of the Star Wars films beyond the horrid dialogue and eyecandy special effects. They aptly captured the feel of 1998, which was a pivotal year for me personally (One reason I found the story more moving than I should?), and the general excitement of that first midnight showing. Is it a classic? Far from it. But, it does help explain why I uncontrollably and audibly groaned when I recognized the Star Trek preview before Watchmen the other night.

3) I purchased tickets to two World Cup qualifying matches.

Stay sweet and have a great summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment